One of the most important factors in selling your home is to ensure that it shows its best at all times. Some tips for preparing your home for showings are:
- Open all drapes and window shades during daylight hours;
- Turn on all lights and replace bulbs with the highest voltage bulbs as possible;
- Open windows before the showing to circulate fresh air;
- Open all doors between rooms to give an open and inviting feeling;
- Place fresh flowers in the kitchen, dining room or living room;
- Bake cookies or bread to add an inviting aroma;
- Be careful about using candles or sprays with heavy odors that may be offensive to sensitive guests;
- Make sure that the kitchens and baths are sparkling clean with towels folded and toilet seats down;
- Confine your pets. Eliminate pet odors and be mindful that guests may be allergic to your pets;
- Jewelry and small valuables should be stored in a safety deposit box or in a locked closet;
- Beds should be made and clothes picked up; and
- When you leave the house, leave it as if you know it is going to be shown.
With proper preparation prior to listing your home for sale and minor preparation prior to each showing, your home should be positioned to sell as soon as possible within the conditions of the market.