Here are 30 suggestions and ideas to improve your home’s appearance and help you prepare to sell it faster!
Throughout the House:
1. Open the drapes, pull up the shades and let in the sunlight. Turn all lights on during the day and night and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
2. Remove clutter from each room.
3. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
4. Keep your home dusted, vacuumed and clean at all times.
5. Clean carpeting and remove any stains.
6. Air out your home before showings. Do not use air freshener sprays or candles with heavy scents that could cause allergic reactions in guests.
7. Put family/personal photos in storage. If you have children, take down all identifiable photos with your children for safety and security reasons.
8. Create the feeling of spaciousness and improve traffic flow in all rooms by removing unnecessary furniture.
9. Wash all windows inside and out.
10. Open doors to areas that you want potential buyers to see including walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
11. Remove all pet and smoke odors.
In the Kitchen:
12. Microwave a small dish of vanilla 20 minutes before a showing and place it in an out of the way place or bake cookies or something with a pleasing scent.
13. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
14. Keep the kitchen spotlessly clean.
15. Expand your counter space by removing some, but not all small appliances. You want to show the space, but not be sterile or appear uninhabited.
16. Remove trash and recycling bins that may cause unpleasant odors.
In the Bathrooms:
17. The bathrooms must also be kept spotlessly clean. Don’t leave dirty towels around on the floor and keep toilet lids and seats down.
18. Re-caulk the tub if necessary and repair or replace any broken tiles in the shower/tub.
19. Replace moldy or dirty shower curtains and keep them clean.
20. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
In the Bedrooms:
21. Create a master suite in your decorating.
22. Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
23. Make sure that beds are made at all times.
24. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
25. Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times and prune and trim trees and shrubs.
26. Use flowering plants to spruce up your curb appeal for the yard, walkway and patio.
27. Remove all toys, bikes, tools and trash from the yard, porches, steps, balconies and patios.
28. Ensure that the front doorbell is in working order.
29. Ensure that the front door and screen door open and close properly.
30. Powerwash or clean the exterior of the home.