Home staging is about setting a scene, creating a mood and creating a positive first impression in your home. Here are some tips and tricks to help you sell your home quickly and for top dollar:
- New paint with current, neutral paint colors. Neutral colors are always a good option to allow buyers to imagine the home as a “blank canvas.” Avoid bold, loud colors as they may immediately turn off buyers.
- Refresh, clean or replace flooring. If your carpeting or hardwood floors are in bad shape, an inexpensive fix that makes a huge difference is to replace the carpet or refinish the floors. Also remove throw rugs and area rugs if you have hardwood floors. Rugs can be distracting and may make rooms look smaller.
- Have the windows washed. Allow natural light to stream in through clean windows.
- Remove dated window treatments and clean the blinds. Mini blinds can get very grimy and dusty. They can easily be cleaned by soaking in the bathtub! When in doubt, remove dated or dirty window treatments and replace or leave off entirely.
- Install new lighting. Lighting does not have to be expensive. Look online at Pinterest or on HGTV and see what is currently trending. Try to duplicate what you see.
- Remove air fresheners. Air fresheners can be offensive to some and can cause allergic reactions or breathing problems in some people. Try to use authentic scents only such as flowers, baking cookies, spices, etc.
- Bathrooms and kitchens make or break the deal. Make sure that bathrooms and the kitchen are immaculately cleaned. Recaulk or regrout tile as needed. Painting older kitchen cabinets can also give a kitchen a whole new look.
- Declutter, declutter, declutter. Less is almost always more! Make sure to clean up, organize and streamline all areas of the home including closets and basement/attic storage areas.
- Replace fake plants with real plants. Fake plants are often magnets for dust and are an eyesore! Green, lush plants can significantly add to your décor.
- Update out of date fixtures. Simple and inexpensive improvements could be to replace old faucets or old, grimy ceiling fans.
When you are selling your home, consider the tips outlined above to help you make the most positive impression to get the most money for your property and to sell it as quickly as possible!